Library cards are available to any individual who lives inside Harrison Township and to any individual or family member living with an individual who owns property Harrison Township.
There is no minimum age to register for a library card, though minors age 17 or younger will need a parent or guardian to sign as a responsible party.
To get a library card, bring a completed Library Card Application form to the circulation desk with valid proof of residency (such as a driver’s license or state I.D.). The library card application is available in the library or can be downloaded here.
HTPL Purchased Library Card
Any individual not eligible for a resident card, courtesy card, temporary resident card, or SLC home library card may purchase a Library card. A purchased card may be used by any member of a family. The family members, regardless of how many there are, living at the same address as the person who originally applied for the SLC purchased card, can each apply for their own card. A purchased Library card allows full privileges at HTPL and full checkout privileges at any SLC-member library. It requires payment of an annual $200 fee. For more information about purchasing a Library card, please see a staff member.
- An individual may only have one card of any type.
- All applicants must complete a library card application form and present valid identification to demonstrate eligibility.
- Current photo ID and proof of street address is required, such as a valid Michigan driver’s license, valid Michigan ID card or school photo ID. Post office box addresses will not be accepted.
- Nonresident courtesy card applicants must present a photo ID and a recent tax bill or tax receipt showing property ownership in Harrison Township or proof of employment in Harrison Township, such as a pay stub showing the company address.
- Members of the United States military stationed at the Selfridge Air National Guard Base must show a photo ID and proof of active duty.
- Applicants younger than age 18 and group home resident applicants need a parent or guardian’s co-signature. Co-signers must present proper ID. Guardians must present guardianship papers along with appropriate ID.
Minors must notify library to update records upon turning 18 years of age to assume legal responsibility for items checked out.
- The card owner is responsible for all materials borrowed on the card and agrees to abide by library lending rules and all policies and regulations.
- There is a $1 replacement charge for lost cards. Lost cards should be reported as soon as possible.
- Additional authorized users may be added to a library card, but the card holder assumes responsibility for all items borrowed on the card.
- Library card applications for adults are active until the card’s renewal date. Applications for minors are active until the child is 18 years old.
- HTPL has agreed to abide by all MILibraryCard guidelines. HTPL may only issue a MILibraryCard label to holders of a Resident/Property Owner Card or a HTPL Purchased Library Card.
Furthermore, HTPL will only issue a MILibraryCard label to cardholders in good standing; meaning cardholders currently owing less than five dollars ($5.00) on their HTPL membership account.
- Customers who do not have their library card at check-out may use their driver’s license.