$19-21/hour, part-time, 15-20 hours per week
Start date and process: Applications accepted through August 22nd. Interviews begin the week of August 29th with an anticipated start date as soon as possible.
The Harrison Township Public Library is a Class IV library with a service population just under 25,000. Harrison Township is a beautiful waterfront community located on Lake St. Clair with a number of local recreational activities for outdoor enthusiasts. The library was first established as a community-funded entity in 2015 and continues to grow. HTPL is seeking a personable, enthusiastic individual to join us on our journey.
The Full-Service Librarian is crucial to HTPL’s program of public service. This position manages services in both the Adult and Youth Services Departments as needed. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Plan, promote, and host innovative adult, youth, and general family programs
- Develop the collection and weed materials including fiction, nonfiction, audiobooks, large print, and electronic formats within the designated budget
- Provide comprehensive reference and readers’ advisory services
- Assist guests with the use of the library including print and electronic materials such as technology instruction, Internet navigation, use of Microsoft Office programs, electronic resources, and all other library services as needed
- Oversee the maintenance of library satellite collections
- Work independently within the guidelines set by library policies and the Library Director
- Motivate, establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, supervisors, volunteers, other community agencies, and the public
- Assume responsibilities for supervision of personnel and facilities in the absence of senior staff
- Maintain awareness of new developments and trends in the field through professional journals, workshops, conferences, etc.
- Perform public relations functions such as preparing promotional materials and press releases, develop in-house displays, maintain library social media accounts, and participate in community outreach opportunities that may require public speaking
- Perform other related duties as required
- Master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited library school
- Ability to deliver consistent, friendly, attentive, high quality customer service
- Demonstrated knowledge of library materials/resources of interest to adults
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize duties, meet deadlines, work independently, and assume responsibility
- Awareness of new developments and trends in public libraries, the community, and society
- Full range of Internet and Microsoft Office skills
- Successful experience with programming and collection development
- Customer service experience
- Seeing, keyboarding, using the telephone, lifting, pushing, pulling, carrying objects weighing up to 50 pounds, walking, bending, stooping, crouching, reaching, carrying, climbing ladders, pushing book carts
- Standing or sitting for long periods of time
Only electronic submissions will be considered. Application for Employment can be downloaded here: Application for Employment.
Submit cover letter, resume, application, and three professional references to:
Melissa Goins, Library Director